The IP ranges for delegates at the conference venue will be;
- 22.214.171.124/22 (126.96.36.199 to 188.8.131.52)
- 184.108.40.206/22 (220.127.116.11 to 18.104.22.168)
This will be provided via DHCP on both the wired and wireless network. We are working with BigAir (the residential bandwidth provider) to provide IPv6 addresses on the main conference LAN, but we'll be sending an update on Monday.
|Quick info: SSID: lca2012 WPA Key: linux2012|
All conference wireless access points will broadcast the SSID lca2012, and are configured with the WPA passphrase linux2012. Whilst the Conference wireless is provided as an encrypted network, please take any precautions necessary when transmitting data over this network (SSL, etc). There will be wired connections available upstairs in the Caro Building from Monday morning if you need them, but they are on a first-come, first grabbed basis.
Wireless access will be available in all conference venues on campus from Monday morning. There will also be coverage
- The area outside the University Cafe in Building U (where breakfast is served)
- Signposted areas in C and T blocks.
- (Limited) coverage in the public areas around the Caro Convention Centre (the main conference venue)
Cabled internet is available in all rooms in the college accommodation, and is provided by BigAir. As has been previously indicated you will need to provide your own data cable. IPv4 addressing is in the range 22.214.171.124/23 (126.96.36.199 to 188.8.131.52) , and IPv6 in the range 2405:4600:3004::/64.
Wireless will be available in the Peter Lalor residential block common room, and will be running on 802.11a, b and n channels. Delegates are welcome to bring their own 802.11g Access Points and configure them appropriately, but please note the network team is considering the 802.11g channels in the Residential blocks to be the "Wild West", and delegates will need to sort out any ESSID and channel conflicts themselves.
Accommodation Wireless Suggestions
Note: These suggestions come from the delegates, and are not official, if you wish, feel free to debate, change, or ignore any of the suggestions:
- If you are providing a wireless AP that will be bridged to the wired LAN, then give the SSID lca2012-common-good, with the WPA same as the conference, linux2012. This way we those who wish to use the delegate provided and unofficial APs can do so, but can set there preferences to the official wireless when in range.
- If you are setting up your own AP for your own use, then consider labeling it with either your twitter/identica handle, or your accomodation block and room number. That way if there is a problem, we can locate you.
All conference cabled connections should provide an IP in the above listed conference delegate and conference accommodation range. If you receive a private IP address allocation, or an address outside the above listed ranges, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org telling us where you are located, or, if in the residences, which accommodation block and room number.
Speakers who require a static IP allocation should send a short email to the NOC address (listed above) providing your MAC address and we will action these as we can. If you require it prior to your talk for preparation please include your talk time in the request. Please note we are not able to host any servers or demonstration machines in the conference NOC this year.